|Village Life is published quarterly, in March, June, September and December. It is distributed through subscriptions and nationally through selected CNA and Exclusive Books outlets in metropolitan areas, and additional retail outlets and tourism establishments in the Western, Southern & Eastern Cape, including some Spar stores. New subscribers join every day (the total now approaches 2000). Targeted readership profile is LSM 7-10. Total readership, including distribution by Reception Services to doctors, hotels, airports, etc, is estimated at over 50 000.
Anecdotal evidence indicates:
1. Quality & credibility. The quality of writing, photography, reproduction and printing is amongst the best of the more than 600 magazines currently produced in South Africa, and is on par with the best in the world. Articles are thoroughly researched and in most cases checked by one or more experts. Readers sense this, and the quality of the contents rubs off on the advertising.
2. A very high number of readers per copy. Readers have told how they had to fight to hang on to their copy of Village Life while it circulates among friends. Copies often disappear from libraries and guesthouses. Our guess is a total readership of 50 000--plus.
3. A long life. We often hear the comment: "It is not something one throws away." Many people buy back copies to complete their set (yes, people still buy copies from four and five years ago!).
4. Advertisements are read. "I'm going to read everything from here," one businessman said, pointing to the front page, "to here," pointing to the bottom right of the back page. Readers often have said in a letter that they had read the entire issue four or five times, and commented on how inviting the advertisements looked.
5. Advertisements are not lost in clutter. The advertising load in Village Life wil never exceed 35%, so all advertisements have an excellent change of being noticed. We do not publish "advertorial" or editorial articles in exchange for advertising. Advertorials have little credibility, and we believe our readers and advertisers are best served by a clear distinction between quality editorial and quality advertising.
Page size: A4 (210 mm wide x 297 mm high) with 3 mm bleed
Type area: 179 x 266 mm. Three columns of 57 mm, with 4 mm gutters
A full-page advertisement costs R7200 for multiple issues. Download 2010 rates.
Download an advertising order form.
Loose inserts are not accepted (except order forms for books)
Printed sheet-fed litho-offset, 175 l.p.i. screen on 115 gsm gloss art; cover on 170 gsm gloss art with UV varnish on outside.
Advertising material can be made up in-house, or material may be supplied by e-mail or on CD in a format readable on Apple equipment. Press-optimized PDFs preferred. No TrueType fonts, please. Programmes used: Adobe Creative Suite CS3 (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator).
We reserve the right to reject material of poor quality. Scans and JPEGs of complete advertisements must be at least 300 d.p.i. at actual print size
National Advertising Sales:
Annalize Mouton 072 375 1466 or e-mail
Bookings fax 028 341 0652
Production enquiries: Maré Mouton 028 341 0523 or e-mail
||Our first tourism guide was published in 2009, and was very well received most people described it as "stunning":
The Cape Overberg & Surrounds
A guide to where to stay, what to do, where to eat & shop. The quality of the information, photography and the A3-size road map are all winners.
Publication date: June 2010
A total of 50 000 of these guides will be distributed, with the magazine and also in the tourism industry.
For more information and a rate card, go to Village Life Guides